Monday, January 29, 2007

Elements (part 2)

I went on a search in Wilmington for rapidiograph and india ink, and it is unbelievable how hard it is to find that stuff. One would think that between Michaels and AC Mores you could find any art supply. I mean, really. Those buildings are massive and neither of the two has the one thing I need. I did end up finding a small craft store that carries both but only in black, so needless to say I was forced to stretch my creativity so not to veer to far from my original idea.

The water element worked out, for the most part but because of the lack of rapidiograph ink in the Wilmington area I had to find a different substance to tint my film. I ended up taking clear finger nail polish and tinting it. I think it worked but of course I won't know until I see it projected if it was the look I was searching for.

the theme for the earth element was texture. I did use the transfer technique but to spice it up a bit, I decided to paint the whole strip black and, using my finger nail file, I scratched different textures from my yard in to the paint. I enjoyed playing around with things that I see every day, like the side walk and tree (bark), that I hurry past, never stopping to pay attention to, on my way out.

I’m interested to see the final product, spliced together with music.

fun assignment.

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

Yeah, it's too bad about the ink. Next time I go to Micheals, I'll check to see if they have anything comparable that might go under a different name.

In any case, it looks like you found a way around the ink limitation - perhaps something even better. At the least, your film will have a unique look with the finger nail polish that we can talk about.