Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Elements...

The two elements my group and I decided I would work with are water and earth. I am pleased with my assigned elements.

My ideas for earth go as followed:
I realize that the word earth can describe the entire planet, however, the fact that other elements where also given (air, fire, water) that are encompassed by the “earth”, I have interpreted the earth as the solid mass or land that we inhabit. Therefore, I want to represent the earth element with a combination of organic materials (India ink) in conjunction with man made substances (magazine clipping). I haven’t yet gotten to see any of the projects we have worked on up to this point projected, and for that reason I am having trouble know how many frames to cover to get the length of each effect I am going for. I am aware that 24 frames make up one second, but it’s different when you’re working with hundreds of frames. They all run together after a while. Hehe.

Water:
Water is very fluid and peaceful. These are two qualities that i really want to show through in the ‘water’ segment of this collaboration. In attempt to accomplish this effect I want to use similar elongated waves or lines through out the entirety of the strip. I want the strip to transform, going through three stages beginning with just a smooth fluid stream of cool colors. The second stage is going to be a bit more intense, using a wavy stroke, representing rough waters. The third and final stage is going to bring in bubbles. I will use the oil/ink technique and I would like to try to burn holes in the film strip using a safety pin, but I’m not sure what that’s going to turn out to look like.

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

Ah yes, we must see all the work projected that we've accumulated before we do anything else. A little screening party at the beginning of class, next week.

You've got some pretty solid and well developed ideas for your elements. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.